Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Somewhere...

Freakiest freaky thing happened the other day, as I was perusing the Good Weekend... as you do... blah blah blah this and that blah blah blah Child Brides in Afghanistan. Isn't that terrible. The world today etc etc, happen to glance at the photos, and stop dead in my tracks. Well sit upright and go Oh My God.

The Original photo (copyright Stephanie Sinclair)
[Majabin Mohammed, 13, left, sits with her husband of six months, Mohammed Fazal, 45, his first wife and their child.]


The reason my heart stopped and I cried.

Me, Year 7.

Me - now - superimposed over image of the child.

I pointed this photo out to MrB, my mother, my sister, and one of my very good friends. They were all struck by how similar in appearance this poor child is to me.

And as my mother so delicately put it: No matter how bad you think your life is Actonb, it ain't ever going to be as bad as her's...

12 Comments:

Blogger fingers said...

As a 45-year old man with a beard, I take exception to your obvious implication that the girl's life is a misery.
She's got a lovely rug to sit on and a very nice 17th century rifle on the wall.
What else could a 13-year old chick want...

12/10/06 8:54 am  
Blogger Mountjoy said...

LOL fingers!

It's not like she has a six pack of semetx wired up to her midriff ready to go, AB....

12/10/06 10:09 am  
Blogger actonb said...

OMG. I can't believe that I completely misunderstood the 'rug' comment.
This is what you get when you're always talking in double entendres Fingers. When you make a perfectly innocent comment it just gets lost...

12/10/06 10:13 am  
Blogger Mex said...

oh gah! weirdness ahoy!

12/10/06 11:06 am  
Blogger fingers said...

Actually I WAS talking about the rug, Nic.
The one on the floor.
You silly cow...

12/10/06 1:32 pm  
Blogger actonb said...

That's what I was trying to say. I didn't realise at first that you in fact referring to the fine specimen of Afghan Carpetry... I thought you were being your normal rude and crude self.
My mistake.
I severely underestimated you. Can you ever forgive me...?

12/10/06 1:45 pm  
Blogger mushroom said...

Think of that poor man.....two wives to nag him.....

12/10/06 2:20 pm  
Blogger Mex said...

as opposed to two Nags to wife him.

ouch.

12/10/06 2:28 pm  
Blogger mushroom said...

nice work mex!

12/10/06 3:38 pm  
Blogger Mel said...

Your Mum is right...no matter what fingers might say on the subject, no 13 year old girl wants to have to make out with a 45 year old man. Ever.

12/10/06 9:35 pm  
Blogger liesdonotbecomeus said...

thats gotta be one of the nicest afghan families i have ever seen. they don't even look angry.

17/10/06 8:52 am  
Blogger actonb said...

They don't look angry, this is true... But the girl looks like she's withdrawn so completely that she'll never smile again...

17/10/06 9:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home