Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Point Form Blahness

I feel like it's been an age since I was sitting in this here office, and it's actually only been a couple of days. Public holidays always throw me like that. Anyways, so much has happened, so much needs to be shared... just don't expect any of it to be exciting.

* I had an Usborne book party on Friday night, and it made me so so happy... There's something a little sad about me, but the sight of every single surface in my lounge/dining room being covered in books gave me such a thrill! They were kids book, and it was a Tupperware-party kinda set-up - for every $100 worth of books sold, I got $20 worth of free books! And I ended up with over $100 worth of books for my babes. Who were so impressed with the Usborne set-up they immediately decided to play libraries the next day... I got lucky - I've got kids who adore to read as much as I do!
And it was also kinda lovely to sit around talking books, drinking wine and eating cheese with some of my bestest friends...

* The Swans lost. And they bloody deserved to... Uselessest game of footy I've seen in ages. Worse than Miss H's Auskick games! Silver linings: I got to eat lots of yummy food, hang out with my sister (newly returned from E Timor), and the garden got weeded quite ferociously after the game had finished.

* Sunday morning MrB and I got rid of the Big Girls, who went down to Berry with the Sister and BiL, and we got down and dirty attacking the massive lantana plantation behind our house. We back onto a creek, and the creek bank was just one big pile of lantana. We cleared some of it last spring, and then kinda just let it go, so we decided to finally clear it so we can go beg the Council for some free plants to regenerate it. It was hard work, but it's done, and we weren't fazed by the cranky cranky water dragon who kept shaking her little head and puffing out her neck at us. Didn't scare us one little bit. In fact, we kinda did some pointing and laughing which made her even crankier.

* I made risotto last night. I adore risotto. It was a 'What's in the fridge? Chuck it in' type risotto, with leeks and carrots and corn, some roasted pumpkin, and a bit of chicken. Damn good. And I always make heaps so that we can have risotto cakes with salad for tea the next day. One of my faves.

(I have been trying in vain to post some photos. Will continue to battle blogger...)

12 Comments:

Blogger Mountjoy said...

"The Swans lost. And they bloody deserved to... Uselessest game of footy I've seen in ages. Worse than Miss H's Auskick games!"

Have you been channelling Perth residents, AB? Didn't they play with enough courage to claw back 24 of the 25 points they were down at half time? Against what has turned out to be the best team in the competition? It's not like they rolled over for 50, is it?
If it weren't a GF, you can bet the Weagles would be getting a Worsfold sized walloping today for almost letting it slip away.

Saying the Bloods were shite has the reek of someone falling off a bandwagon...

3/10/06 10:55 am  
Blogger actonb said...

Donnie - Q4 was amazing - but they didn't deserve to have gone down by 1 point. It was a messy messy first half. And I've been on the bandwagon since 1983. I remember sitting in the SCG, a freezing befuddled immigrant, falling in love with the game. My brother played from age 8. I was a goal umpire coz girls couldn't play in the 80s. My children have played since they were 5. I think I can quite confidently say they played like shite. Barry Hall had a shocker of a game.

3/10/06 10:59 am  
Blogger Mountjoy said...

Q1 shat me, but then if they had no guts, they would have rolled over after that for a 60 point loss. As for BBB: Remember last year MOL didnt have his kicking boots on either - I dont think one man can carry the can. I thought Nick Davis did very well too - considering the self doubts he must have had.

I hate the coulda should woulda game. If we had done well in Q1/2, you can bet those Weagles would have run us down. I'm resigned to the fact they were hungrier for it, and understand why.

Nothing personal about the bandwagon jibe - just that there are not too many people acknowledging that one more scoring shot would have made that game something close to the greatest comeback in AFL history.

You ought to try being here in the West Sun/Mon/today. Yeeeech.

3/10/06 2:44 pm  
Blogger actonb said...

Although I watched the game with a West Australian, luckily he is a Dockers fan. He still didn't take too kindly to my mother's outburst "Why don't we all just slap Iain?" though...
The Weagles unfortunately managed to hang onto their marks... and kick the ball through the big posts.
You win some etc etc etc. There's always next year :)
I did manage to get quite a lot of my yard weeded while working out my frustration!

3/10/06 2:51 pm  
Blogger Original Mel said...

I think Barry should be sent back to Barry Hall Hall to learn how to catch a ball properly.

However, the Bundaberg ad won the prize for "most entertaining half time advertisement". Shame that drinking hte stuff screams bogan just as much as a mullet and a Torana.

3/10/06 3:55 pm  
Blogger Mountjoy said...

I'm still trying to figure out why Schmackos would bother with the long form ad that they used... are AFL fans really s.n.a.g.s who give thier dogs premium food?

3/10/06 5:39 pm  
Blogger Mex said...

overall the game was shite. it was poorly played. the kicks werent hitting the marks, the balls were being dropped left right and centre. and yes, im sure there were nerves in play etc etc - but the show on saturday afternoon was not from a premiership winning side.

im not abusing them because they lost. all im saying is that with football played like that they deserved to lose. and even if they won i would still be saying the same thing.

4/10/06 11:06 am  
Blogger Mex said...

ok - no shit - but that is like the 5th or 6th time that a comment from me has killed conversation/comments on this blog...

should i just piss off and leave you alone? is that what you want? huh?

4/10/06 5:28 pm  
Blogger Mel said...

you know, I've never made risotto. Always seems like one of those dishes I'm sure to ruin, so I don't actually try. Isn't it sad to let fear hold me back in the kitchen...

The Swans game was dumb. Storm got robbed. Two fairly ordinary games of final football.

4/10/06 9:08 pm  
Blogger mushroom said...

mmmm risotto, i love it with field mushrooms and goats cheese.....slobber

5/10/06 8:33 am  
Blogger actonb said...

Mexie - I was off yesterday and so busy busy busy that I didn't have time to blog. Don't go away... :( We love you.

Missy - mullets are fine. Just keep 'em in Qld where they belong.

Omel - I missed the half-time ads - was preparing munchies and yet more munchies for the hoards.

Odly - risotto was one of those dishes that I was scared of for ages, but it's actually dad easy, just lots of stirring to be done. Which is easy and relaxing, esp if you have a glass of wine to hand...
And you get to make scrummy risotto cakes with the leftovers. And they have the added bonus of crispy bits.

Shroom - you can keep your field mushrooms, but I do adore the chevre.

5/10/06 10:25 am  
Blogger mushroom said...

its a bit self cannabalistic really isnt it?

5/10/06 12:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home