Friday, June 06, 2008

Girl Friday

A dose of Friday Randomness... because the caffeine's worn off and I'm feeling decidedly seedy - the seediness one feels when one hasn't slept well because one's children are spending their first night at Daddy's new place and one is prone to histrionic fits of freaking-the-hell-out.

So... moving right along then?

* I have discovered, that rather like Prufrock, I am measuring out my life in coffee spoons, or, um fortnights. How quickly one falls into the surreal calendar of access visits. It's odd. And disquieting. But oh! the mixed feelings when His weekend falls again and the children are gone... the silence is bliss, the emptiness agony.

* My musical horizons are growing ever wider - I have been on a downloading (legal!) spree, and have my iPod charged with Clare Bowditch, Death Cab for Cutie, Rooney (when Miss E sends me the discs) and even some Jeff Buckley (don't ask). Further suggestions are welcome - this finding of new music is very empowering...

* I heard some Prince today at lunchtime - always a pleasure to unexpectedly hear some Prince I find - but kinda odd to hear it coming from a Truck Repair Shop.

* I went to see the Brandenburg Orchestra and Choir the other day - 50 boy trebles in their long socks and blazers contributed to my aural bliss. They also managed to send my companion to sleep. But only momentarily... The combination of champagne + cold'n'flu medication + empty stomach = interesting cultural experience... it gives the notes an almost tangible aspect, as I absorb them into my very soul. Unfortunately the aforementioned combination can also lead to melodrama later in the evening. But that is neither here nor there.

* The long weekend beckons wetly, yet promising comfort.

I am making the most of it.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger gigglewick said...

Me too. I am going to eat miles upon miles of tapas.

Whoo!

6/6/08 4:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, but you know ... if I copy said CDs and mail them to you, I will be committing an act of copyright infringement.

I don't know if I can live with myself ...

(Oh, and which eps of GG do you need? Now that I have a functional CD/DVD burner, watch me go CRAZY!)

6/6/08 6:30 pm  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

This would be as good a time as any to mention that I used to play in a band with Libby Chow, now rather better known as the french horn player/backing vocalist from Clare Bowditch's Feeding Set.

This would be way cooler if the band in question wasn't my high school brass band, which performed such cutting edge material as selections from Barnum (the Musical) and, mortifyingly, "A Tribute to Billy Joel".

This band also featured noted sports reporter Tiffany Cherry.

But enough about me and all the famous people I know.

My new(ish) music recommendations include anything ever released by Eat the Menu, and "Playing Boyfriends and Girlfriends" by Holidays on Ice.

Also, do what you can to track down a copy of William Shatner's "Has Been". You won't regret it.

6/6/08 8:20 pm  
Blogger Mex said...

do me a favour...

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZxnhIBsBdU

nuff said.

10/6/08 9:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have more for you!!

http://www.aroundcalgary.com/calgarydaytrips/index.html

lv mex

12/6/08 4:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home