Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Possum Boots


We have a house guest.

I am in two minds about said guest.

On the one hand, I am a fan of all things native and lovely. He has a right to exist, we stole his habitat etc etc. He also cute, as in the original "ugly but interesting" meaning. He may well be the strangest looking possum I have ever seen - he looks like he's wearing glasses.

However

On the other hand, he's munched my pelagoniums to buggery. He's also taken to peeing dark brown possum pee all over the deck. And his most heinous crime is that he lives in the roof. Right above my head. And he wears great big (invisible) possum boots that make it impossible to ignore his comings and goings. And he's a dirty stop out who doesn't come home until 5:30am, and then does so in a manner highly reminiscent of my little brother in his 'I'm such a rebel' period. The Brother would very very quietly barge into the house, taking about 10 minutes to unlock the door. He would very very quietly creep into the kitchen, banging every single piece of furniture on the way. He would then very very quietly decide to make himself a snack, involving much opening and closing of cupboards, fridge, freezer etc. He would usually put said snack in the microwave, and while waiting the interminable age it took for snack to defrost (usually about 2 minutes) he would go and lie very very quietly down in the lounge room. Where mum would find him a few hours later. The possum is obviously in his 'difficult teenager' phase.

What to do? Do I hope he grows out of it and becomes a functioning member of society? Or do I resort to means more drastic? Could I forgive myself if I gave Mr Possum his marching orders, and threw him out into the cold cruel world?

17 Comments:

Blogger Mountjoy said...

Buy a cat. I had a moggy that was happy to take on a possum 3 times its own size. The only part that puss wouldn't eat was that peskily furry tail...

18/7/06 10:14 am  
Blogger MissE said...

She has a cat.

A big one.

I've never had a possum. Dead animal in the floor, but never possum.

18/7/06 10:16 am  
Blogger fingers said...

All that munching of your pelagoniums and you still can't sleep...

18/7/06 10:20 am  
Blogger actonb said...

The cat is indeed very large.
And seems to have decided to ignore the possum.
He is also locked in at night, coz we're oh do environmentally friendly. And he does enough damage during daylight hours.

Fingers - you seem very interested in my um, self-pleasuring habits. Don't be. It's creeping me out.

18/7/06 10:40 am  
Blogger fingers said...

OK, C&C is as good a place as any to do this.
Nic, I truly don't give a fig about your self-pleasuring habits. Insinuating that I'm creepy is fine; I don't think I'm any worse than the other guys here but WTF...I guess I ask for it.
Anyway, I'm over the knitting circle urbanity that goes with this kind of blogging, so it's goodbye from me and goodbye from him.
Best of luck...

18/7/06 11:21 am  
Blogger Mountjoy said...

Creepy is all relative. Troll calls me creepy, but I know I'm not - not even my Cyber Alter Ego (and he has a lot less filtering than I do in real life).

We all have our moments. When you think about it, blogging is not a terribly male-centric activity, therefore I would have thought the female members of the community would be more tolerant of our transgressions into male deviancy...

18/7/06 12:46 pm  
Blogger actonb said...

Donnie, as far as I was aware, it was a mild 'please don't do that, if you wouldn't mind' comment.
I would say I relatively tolerant. It was said with a smile. Or do I have to do the stupid fucking smiley face thing???

18/7/06 12:53 pm  
Blogger Mountjoy said...

Whoa there! I wasn't trying to start WWIII, just commenting on the "creeping me out" thought...

(ducks for cover and runs from next spray of venom)

18/7/06 2:04 pm  
Blogger MissE said...

Venom?

I think I'm reading a different set of comments to you, Donnie.

Middle aged men are so very very touchy sometimes.

18/7/06 2:11 pm  
Blogger actonb said...

Right.
We all have to start chanelling SB from this point on....
:)
;)
:P

etc.

18/7/06 2:21 pm  
Blogger Mountjoy said...

Only a woman could read "stupid fucking smiley face" and not see venom...

And I'll give you middle aged! I'm still fathering, children you know.

18/7/06 3:36 pm  
Blogger actonb said...

Didn't Charlie Chaplin father a child at 90?

Donnie: that's the technical term. No venom sprayed in any direction. Damn should have put a SFSF at the end of the comment. Then there's no confusion. :)

18/7/06 4:07 pm  
Blogger Mountjoy said...

90 years old? You'd think the implement in question would be rough as sandpaper from the effects of aging... ewwwwww.

To paraphrase Adam Sandler "..and imagine those old grey balls, slapping against you..." Double ewwwww.

18/7/06 6:28 pm  
Blogger liesdonotbecomeus said...

little brothers see and know everything.... and do not appreciate the possum comparisons. possums cannot operate microwave ovens in any case, therefore the comparison is invalid.

19/7/06 12:03 am  
Blogger actonb said...

Little brothers actually demonstrated a difficulty in operating microwave ovens. Or at least, a difficulty in comprehending that snacks needed to be removed from said oven once cooking had been completed.
I think the comparison stands.

19/7/06 1:04 pm  
Blogger liesdonotbecomeus said...

ah, but the operation of said electrical device is not in your example the issue, it is the collection of goodies contained within. As you have stated.
The comparison is not valid. Little brothers are well known for their stealthy ways.

19/7/06 3:32 pm  
Blogger actonb said...

You would be right IF the basis of the comparison was ability to operate electrical devices.
However,I think you'll find the main comparison was indeed stealthiness...
And although a certain little brother of my acquaintance has improved his stealthy ways of late, his teenage stealthiness left a lot to be desired...

19/7/06 3:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home