Monday, June 26, 2006

Revitalisation

Well, the Melbourne thing happened. Eventually. Even if the Sydney Basin seemed to be conspiring against me. And I'm not paranoid. It was a perfectly clear and sunny 16C day in the Gong when I set off on my Big Adventure. I jumped in the car and turned on the radio to hear Virginia Trioli whinging about fog and the airport being closed. Huh???? The fog didn't start until I hit Waterfall. Seriously. Weird.
However, my flight was only about 90 minutes late, so I wasn't too cranky...

Highlights of the weekend included:

  • Friday Night Footy at the Telstra Dome. Which has a roof, and therefore made things less Melburnian chilly... I got quite warm in my specially chosen Black Turtle Neck. There's something about the footy in Melbourne... Something social and convivial and warm and fun. So sweet to see large families there as well as teenage couples out for a date. At half time, the kids rushed to get out and kick a footy around outside... The entire 34000 crowd responding as one, to every little nuance of the game (nuances that kinda bypassed me, as an ignorant New South Welshwoman). And the Kangaroos won! Which was quite exciting for my footy companion.
  • Breakfasts. Alone. Sitting at a table, with the papers spread around me, having gorgeous strong coffee delivered to me by a shy and cutely-accented waiter. Eggs Benedict. More coffee. Time. No kids yelling and demanding attention, no weetbix being flung in every direction. Just me, my coffee, my paper. Bliss.
  • Possums in Flagstaff Gardens. Capering around, reminding me of Grey Squirrels. No fear of the people walking along LaTrobe St. And getting so cranky with each other. Ooooh Cranky Possums. So Scary.
  • White bedding. An impossibility in a house full of children, and therefore considered by me to be a total Luxury. Lying in my comfy white bed, listening to the noise of the city. The sirens, the live music from the pub across the road, the tram bells dingling... Being the ultimate child of suburbia, all of this was wondrous to me...
  • NGV - what a great Space! I loved the building - thought it was like a modernistic castle, with a moat. Although I got slightly irritated with the waterwall. And inside... I love empty spaces that don't sound hollow. The grey stone seemed warm and sponge-like, soaking up the noise. I saw some Rembrandt etchings, and some Chinese silk paintings. Ah, culture vulture fulfilled.

And so, I came home all refreshed, although with a surprisingly low tolerance for childish chatter...

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger killerrabbit said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend. Sorry we couldn't catch up - I was playing in the snow. Where did you go for breakfast? Did you go to the Museum of the Moving Image?

26/6/06 12:23 pm  
Blogger actonb said...

That's cool - weekend was chockers anyway... with doing kinda not a lot really, but twas fun.
Brekkie - cafe scaletti on Elizabeth st. I stayed at Hotel Y. Which was cool.
Didn't get to the museum of the moving image.
Add to my list for NEXT time I'm in Melb...
How was the snow?

26/6/06 12:57 pm  
Blogger killerrabbit said...

The snow was lovely. Crunchy. Not deep enough to ski on but great for a bush walk.

26/6/06 1:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home