Friday, February 15, 2008

Words Shmwords

A dear friend told me the other day that they loved what I did with words. This made me inordinately happy... but of course, the comment only came after they'd had to admit to plagiarising me... and with the promise of more generic plagiarising to come...

But it got me to thinking about words, and why I love them, and why it's words that make me blog. And then I realised it was Valentine's Day, so decided relevance was in order...

Now there just so happens to be a group of words that I just adore - that make me deliriously happy - and they're not those high-falutin' happy words like love, passion, squishy or squelchy...

no....

It's probably the linguistics nerdery manifesting itself, but the words that really get my semantic juices going include

notwithstanding
albeit
heretofore
henceforth
undersigned (God, I love to be an undersigned)
thereafter
hereafter
happilyeverafter (OK, this one's not for real)

I really want to throw antidisestablishmentarianism in there as well, but unfortunately it was tainted by my Primary School Principal dissecting it in class. ewwww.

I suppose it could be the fact that I did German for 6 years and they love joining bits of words together. It just seems to me to be so... impulsive.. and pulse-quickening... and ....


You know that scene in A Fish Called Wanda, where John Cleese (mmmm, John Cleese) is seducing Jamie Lee Curtis by speaking Russian? Or where Kevin Kline (mmm Kevin Kline) is doing the seduction by speaking French? Yeah...


*mind wanders through wildly inappropriate day dreams*



Ahem, sorry, actually, the Russian would probably work on me just as well, but for the purpose of this post, you just have to replace it with those words....

Man! It's lucky I decided not to follow the Law... I don't think I'd get any work done...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aforementioned.
hitherto. (which in year 7 i read aloud to the class as 'hi thurto'

15/2/08 1:59 pm  
Blogger actonb said...

yes (yes! yes!)

precisely.

15/2/08 2:11 pm  
Blogger gigglewick said...

what do you mean, you don't "follow the Law"?

OMG, I knew you shouldn't have gone to Glenrowan!

15/2/08 4:32 pm  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Happilyeverafter is my favourite from that list.

Also, may I say I'm really enjoying the relatively new perving opportunities/ inappropriate daydreams/etc type direction this blog is taking.

Please remember that in blogging there is NO SUCH THING AS SHARING TOO MUCH.

16/2/08 8:47 pm  
Blogger actonb said...

GW - I'm an outlaw! Now leave me to recline gracefully against this log...

INC - Oh dear. I'm blushing now. Sorry INC!

16/2/08 9:17 pm  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Hmm, perhaps I wasn't entirely clear. Let's try this again:

I like that you've been blogging about stuff like that.

Please continue to do so.

Yours most sincerely

INC


PS The point I was going for, perhaps a little flippantly, was that one of the great things about blogging is that I get to read stuff that you probably wouldn't mention in casual conversation if we had met at a church or something.

This is a Good Thing.

My sincerest apologies for being the cause of blushing and the like.

17/2/08 10:02 pm  
Blogger Mex said...

i am currently enjoying the use of the word 'abovementioned'. weeee!

18/2/08 3:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home